The online pupillages application system has been forced to re-open after it crashed due to the high volume of applications it received at the end of April.
The Pupillages Portal closed on 30 April but due to technical difficulties, which resulted in a delay in some applications being submitted, the Bar Council has re-opened the system for a limited period. Candidates will now be able to submit further applications between Friday 22 May and Tuesday 26 May (click here for further information).
An aspiring barrister who experienced difficulties submitting his pupillages applications told Lawyer2B.com that he was very frustrated by the technical fault.
He said: “The application system is farcical, to have spent so long completing various applications only to have the Pupillage Portal fail and refuse to submit the applications is extremely frustrating. Surely it is not too hard to foresee a high number of applicants and compensate accordingly?”
The Pupillages Portal replaced OLPAS earlier this year and requires applicants to tailor each of their 12 applications to each individual chambers. This resulted in a significant increase in the volume of information being sent through the portal, which is what caused it to crash.
The new system only runs one application season per year compared to the two (autumn and summer) that were available via OLPAS. However, a clearing system will be launched later this year.