Happy New Year! I hope 2010 is treating you all well and that you’re managing to stay warm.
Indeed, as the Arctic weather conditions continue to wreak havoc across the UK it must be very tempting to stay in bed and forget about all those New Year’s resolutions you made last week. I know that my Ministry of Sound workout DVD is still in its cellophane wrapper as I continue to munch my way through the dregs of Christmas chocolate that are still littering my kitchen. But with my wedding now just weeks away my diet starts today – I promise.
Similarly, if your resolution is to leave university with a training contract or pupillage then you too need to jump out of bed and get to it. And as always Lawyer 2B is here to help you along the way with some top tips to get you started:
- Secure a vacation placement – the deadlines are now just around the corner so get to work on those dreaded application forms urgently. But remember avoid the scattergun approach and research every firm you apply to thoroughly.
- Attend firm/chamber presentations – your university law society or careers service should be able to provide you with a schedule of forthcoming events.
- Don’t fret if you miss out on a vacation placement – there are plenty of other ways to gain relevant work experience such as getting involved in pro bono.
- Polish your CV by getting involved in extra-curricular activities such as mooting and debating.
- Give your commercial awareness a boost by signing up to Lawyer 2B’s fortnightly Legal Brief email alerts.
- Aim to get the best grades as humanly possible as firms will be chasing the most academically able candidates.
- Don’t give up – nobody said finding a graduate job in a recession is going to be easy.
PS – If you’re interested in winning a free LPC or GDL place at BPP Law School then make sure you enter our writing competition (read more).